Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor Day weekend

I had minor surgery on my forearms on Friday. There were five lipoma that were bothering me when I rested my forearms on a hard surface - like when I'm typing. So those have been removed. The incisions aren't very big, but of course they hurt with pressure - like when I'm typing! :-) At least once they've healed that will be the end of it.

They actually put me out for the surgery. I was hoping for just local anaesthetic, but with two arms that would have put me too near the dosage limit. It made the time pass quickly anyways! It was as if they wheeled me out of the prep area and into the recovery area! Of course I was sleepy for the rest of the day. Felt pretty much normal by today.

10 minutes after we got home from the surgery, a big thunderstorm blew through. Only lasted about 30 minutes, but in that short time it managed to dump lots of rain, tear the outer layer of roof off our carport, knock over my pole beans and the hops, and scatter debris all over the yard.

These storms are typical for the time of year, but that doesn't make it any easier to prepare for them. We just had the carport roof re-felted and sealed earlier this year. Now we'll have to get it done all over again.

The beans have mostly survived. Only one of the seven plants was actually pulled out of the ground. Good thing, as they've only just started producing!

This morning, Labor Day, we drove out to the Sunny Slope area, along the Snake river. They grow lots of grapes and tree fruit there. We visited Williamson Orchards, which seems to have the best selection. Bought pears, two kinds of nectarines, peaches, and corn. Many people were obviously buying enough fruit for canning. One of those things I think would be good to do, but have never gotten around to it. Lately I'm happy if I can get out to pull weeds in the garden on the weekends!

Otherwise, we took it easy. It gets hot here in the afternoons. I can't pull weeds this particular weekend, but I did go out to pick beans and raspberries, take care of the ducks, and pick the latest zucchini.

1 comment:

  1. Nice pic of the garden!

    Perhaps you could put some more on, as I'm eternally nosey and would like to see!

    Mwah, mwah.

    Nicola, Lady Basing

    ReplyDelete