Thursday, October 4, 2007

Getting ready for colder weather

Here we are, first week of October, and the day's high was only in the upper 40’s. No frost yet, but that’s bound to happen soon. Usually by Halloween we’ve had at least one frost. Over the weekend 2-3 inches of snow fell at Brundage, and there’s visible snow on the Boise mountains to the north and the Owyhees to the south.

Our dance group agreed to do a performance along the route of the Leukemia Fund-raising Walk tonight. It’s only going to be in the mid 50’s, with scattered rain. Lucky us. The organizers have lined up all kinds of entertainment groups to keep people’s spirits up along the walk, which starts at 7pm. So we wait until we see the whites of the walkers’ eyes before we start dancing. It’s going to be dark by then anyway. Just as well we’re wearing white dresses! Thank goodness it’s only a couple dances, then we can pack up and leave. We might have to thaw ourselves out in the bar at a nearby restaurant!

In spite of the weather, my tomatoes are still going, the beans are still producing, and there are even late raspberries. I pulled out the last of the beets on Sunday and baked them. They were amazing! We ate two or three of them right away. I froze the rest in bags for making soup later. Soon the gourd plants will get frosted and we can collect the gourds for drying. A few are impressively large – one’s as big as a beach ball. The potatoes should be dug up soon as well.

The ducks and chickens take their egg-laying cues from the length of the days. The ducks have already stopped. The chickens are still laying, but since we let them out to roam the property back in mid-summer, they’ve quit laying in their coop. So it’s much harder to find the eggs. Now I know where Easter egg hunts came from! Back when most chickens roamed the farmyard, I imagine people had to listen for “I just laid an egg” sounds in the Spring and start looking. I heard the first hen this past Spring. At least then it was in the coop. Now we have to search in the wild roses, under the junipers, and other rough areas where I don’t garden :-).

Aphids attacked the zucchini plant. This was hugely popular with the local ladybugs. They laid eggs and we had tons of ladybug larvae feasting on the aphids. The aphids pretty much killed the zucchini anyway, but that’s ok. We got plenty of squash from it. So much that we couldn’t eat it all or give it away. I had to grate a bunch of them to freeze for making zucchini bread later. Now I’m wondering if I should move the zucchini plant or if the ladybugs are going to hibernate there. Probably should move it soon if I’m going to. I’d hate to disturb them after they’d really settled in.

Not a lot happened this past week. We spent most of Sunday going through storage boxes and throwing stuff out. We all managed to put a good chunk of old clothing in the donate pile, and hubby nipped off with it right away so no one could have second thoughts. I still have a bunch of t-shirts that have been packed away for three years. I haven’t missed them at all, but just couldn’t bring myself to get rid of them. Perhaps once I try to find space for them I’ll get more heartless. It’s past time to switch out the summer and winter clothing. I’ll try to do that this coming weekend. It’s hard sometimes to decide what to leave out during the winter. No matter how cold it is outside, you don’t want to be wearing a sweater at a dance. So I have to remember to leave out the t-shirts that match my skirts or I’m constantly searching through the summer clothes boxes.

Happy Columbus Day, and happy Autumn to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment