Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Even More Snow!



Well, I imagine people might think I'm nuts about snow from all the posts I've done on it. This is the snowiest winter we've had since I moved here in mid 2003. My sister has lived here 15 years, and she says this is how it used to be when she first came to Boise. Hasn't snowed this much for a while.

It started snowing early this morning, while I was at a Dr. appt to have a biopsy done on my thyroid. Like many people (I think the stat is 7 out of 10), I seem to have benign nodules on my thyroid. All the other tests so far has been perfectly normal. These were first found in Fall 2006, but a biopsy hadn't been done yet. So the Endocrinologist decided it was time.

Anyway, the appt took a few hours, so the snow had built up by the time we left. It took us nearly an hour to drive the 15-ish miles home. It's now afternoon and the snow is still coming down. We have 6 or 7 inches outside. I went out with a ruler to check. And took some pictures of course! I cancelled my two interviews and have been taking it easy - except for shoveling the front deck a bit. I'm not supposed to lift more than 10 lbs. today, to minimize bruising.

I've been contemplating the purpose of my blog lately. I tend to treat it more like a group letter to my friends, rather than a journal of thoughts that I allow others to read. I've never been good at reflective writing. Had to take a class like that when I was studying for my Teaching Credential in English, and it was a horrible experience. I've always been a very successful narrative writer, good at writing about literature, essays, fiction, letters. But when I tried to write an inner narrative, reflecting on my feelings, etc, it was a real struggle. And the prof was NOT excited by my work at all. I thought the topics were stupid and self-indulgent, and he thought my writing about them was shallow and forced. Which it was. No surprise there. :-\

So here I am, blogging. I wonder sometimes about the things I write in this blog. Is there any point in telling people about the weather and our recent activities? Are they even interested, or is it more like an endless Christmas newsletter that drones on and on about me, me, me?

It was different when I was in Korea. Then, my weekly letters were more of a way to connect with all my friends and family who were sooooo far away, telling them about all the struggles I was going through, as well as all the fun stuff. It made me feel closer to everyone at a time when I really needed that. Now, I'm not so sure. So I'm thinking I need to experiment a bit with my blog posts. I guess we'll just have to see how successful, or not, that turns out to be.

Anyway, have a look at the pictures and envy us. I know living and driving in feet of snow is a pain, but I still love it - snow, that is, not driving in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment