Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Veggie Garden is planted


All the seeds have been planted in my veg garden. I'm trying lettuce and parsnips from seed for the first time. Today I bought a new rhubarb and two more asparagus crowns because two of the crowns I put in last year have not produced any green shoots this year. When I dug them up the roots looked alive, but there was no green. I don't know what to think. I have hardly any experience with asparagus. So I put them back in and planted the new ones nearby. The new ones are Jersey Knight. The old ones are Martha Washington. So I guess I can compare the two varieties and see what works best where we are.

In this picture, in back, l-r, are two rows of gladiolus, the six pepper seedlings. the various bean seedlings and a row of just-planted bean seeds.
In front, two rows of orange cosmos, a block of cut-and-come-again mixed lettuce, and the new rhubarb.


In this one you see the nine tomatoes and the raspberries. Then in front are two rows of parsnips, two rows of arugula, the asparagus, and the strawberries.

I'm excited to see how it goes this summer. It's fun to try new plants from seed. Even if some don't come up, I'll have learned something.

No comments:

Post a Comment