Saturday, August 30, 2008

Tomatoestomatoestomatoes


I have over 40 tomatoes sitting on the kitchen counter, some riper than others. The Purple Calabash are finally starting to get ripe, but it's hard to tell if they are or not. These are three that looked like they were close. I'm torn between leaving them on the vine as long as possible and taking off the riper ones so the other will get ripe.



We've been having tomato sandwiches for a few weeks now, but we just can't keep up with the flood. So this morning I cut up about a dozen of the ripest ones for sauce. It's been simmering for a few hours now. I'm going to freeze it in quart bags for later. It'll be nice to have some of our own homegrown pasta sauce this Fall.


This is one of the Brandy Boys. A few of them have turned out this way. I'm not sure why. I wonder if it's because this is the Big Boy/Brandywine hybrid, or the weather was cold when the fruit was just forming.


The Fall Gold raspberries are really starting to ripen now. I'm looking forward to next year when I have another red raspberry plant in there instead of the Black Munger. I've frozen a lot of them this summer, but with another plant I might get enough that I can do some baking with them. Seems like there are never quite enough at one time to do that with.

No comments:

Post a Comment