Sunday, September 21, 2008

Lots of Rain

Whew. Feels like I got a lot done today, although I doubt anyone could tell from looking at the house!

We just had all of our average September rainfall in 48 hours! Friday night was incredible. I haven't seen it rain that hard here since I moved to Idaho. Beautiful lightning display on Friday night as well. I heard on the news that it's been 59 days since our last rain.

It rained most of Saturday, though not as hard. So I didn't get out to the garden until Sunday morning. Just as a note to self for future reference - a lot of rain falling on nearly-ripe raspberries is not ideal. They looked positively water-logged! So I picked everything I could and let them dry a bit. These won't freeze as well as the others, but since I have eight zip-lock bags already in the freezer, that's ok. Oddly enough the strawberries have started producing again, though not a huge amount. It's nice to have a few to put in our granola in the morning.

There were also a few beans and limas to pick, and some of the Marconi peppers were ready. One was nearly a foot long and a lovely dark red. It's a shame so many of the others got sunburned. It seems to stunt their development a lot, although the rest is still edible. Because the ground is so soaked and pepper plants don't have deep roots, I had to prop them up with sticks. So I lightened their loads of peppers as much as I could. It's always very tempting to pick them too soon, before they've had time to develop decently thick walls. But the big one turned out to be much thicker than any I've picked previously. Now I just hope we still get enough heat and sun to get the rest of them red - or at least partly red.

This afternoon I finally tried roasting peppers. I'd never done it before. It works really well, as long as you resign yourself to the fact that you're not going to get every bit of skin off. A bit fiddly, getting the charred skins off, but they turned out great, especially that big one. Now I've done it once, I'm hoping the rest will get ripe so I can do more. I put some pieces in olive oil w/ garlic and basil to marinate in the fridge. Then I divided up the rest and put them in bags for freezing. I also roasted some root veggies for dinner tonight.

I really should be planning my lesson for dance class tomorrow night. Better get busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment