Sunday, November 16, 2008

Hambo and Turkey

Another busy weekend. I guess that's going to be what it's like now the holidays are close.

Last night hubby and I went to the monthly Contra dance. There was a Hambo dance workshop beforehand, so we did that too. It was fun. I think I picked it up again fairly easily, though it's been at least 15 years since I first learned it. The women's part, once you get the hang of the turning step and find the right timing, goes pretty well. I'm not sure I could reliably do the man's part, though it's nearly the same except for the timing. I'd have to work on that a bit.

The contra dance was fun too. The callers chose more advanced dances that were really fun, with Contra-corners, lots of hays, and different set orientations. They had a new (to us) band over from Idaho Falls, Bandage a Trois. One of them is Dave Seelander, who I gathered is a much-admired accordion player. They played some great tunes - mostly Scandinavian - so the music had a Russian and Klezmer flavor to it. Really lively.

After the dance there was a jam session. We mostly listened. Then I started to fall asleep (it was 1:00 am after all), so we went home. We needed to get enough rest for our early family Thanksgiving dinner today.

My parents arrived in town on Monday. They're staying with my sister, but today we're all getting together at our house for turkey dinner. I've made pumpkin (Kabocha squash actually) pie from scratch, and Ken is roasting the turkey. He found a 22lb one at the store, so we're hoping there will be enough leftovers that Victoria can take some home with her. We're also doing stuffing, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes. Brenda and the folks are bringing salad, vegetables, bread and cake. There should be plenty of food!

They should be here any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment