Saturday, March 28, 2009

Chionodoxa in Bloom


These are some new bulbs I planted last fall - Chionodoxa luciliae gigantea, or "Glory of the Snow". They're a wonderful blue color. I've got some in the front bed, and some in a half barrel outside my back window, so I can see them while I work.

Winter is hanging on by its fingernails here. Today was in the high 50's, but we're supposed to get a winter storm tonight that could leave some snow. It could drop the temperature down 15 degrees by morning. I never know if I can rely on the weather forecasters here, so we'll see if it happens. We can always use the water, so I don't mind if it rains or snows.

I've been putting off planting seeds. I meant to do it this week, but haven't yet. So tomorrow I'll get myself organized and do the indoor ones at least. I'll wait on the outdoor stuff until next weekend. I've got sugar snap peas, mesclun lettuce mix, and corn salad. All of those would probably be fine with the cold weather tomorrow - but I don't want to plant them in the rain!

There is arugula self-seeded all over our veg plot. I've been putting off digging it out, but I'm going to have to do it soon if I want to plant other things. It hung on all winter. On warmer days I could go out there and pick some for salads. I think I'll leave some near the rhubarb and dig out the rest. I can already see little tiny seedlings coming up everywhere, so it's not like I'll be running short! Be nice to try something else, like the corn salad, this year. I also hope the sugar snap peas do well.

No comments:

Post a Comment