Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April 1st


Here it is, April already. It doesn't seem like Spring is here yet, and we're already in the fourth month of the year. The weather forecast is predicting rain and snow showers in the next two days. I hope if it snows on Friday that it comes in the evening. I have to drive to Mountain Home on Friday morning. Never fun in falling snow.

Supposedly the tulips are behind this year. The only one blooming now is a species tulip, T. clusiana chrysantha. At least that's what I think it is. Seems to match the pictures. All the other tulips are just leaves. Looking back to last year, I didn't have any other tulips blooming in early April then either. But by late April things were taking off. I'm still waiting for the asparagus to come up as well. If there's no green peeking out of the ground by the end of April, there could be a problem.

My veg seeds haven't germinated yet. It's only been a few days, but I always get impatient. The sweet pea seedlings aren't looking too happy. I'm hoping they all have enough of a root system that they'll hang on and recover once I've planted them in a larger pot outside.

I'm looking forward to April 17th. Hubby and I are going to an Alasdair Fraser & Natalie Haas concert. It's been a long time since I saw Alasdair play. We'll take a long weekend and camp out one night on the way home, at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. If it doesn't rain or snow we should have a good time. It will be relaxing to get away for a bit.

Found some beautiful gladiolus bulbs last weekend, a color called "Espresso", a beautiful velvety dark maroon color. The glads I planted last year did well, so I thought I'd try some new colors. With this new bag of 18, I now have over 40 bulbs. Not sure they'll fit where I put them last year. Might have to find somewhere else.

Once again, not a particularly earth-shaking post. But then, I haven't been feeling particularly inspired or energized about anything lately. Sure ready for some nice Spring weather and gardening. Much as I like winter, it's time for the season to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment