Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cozy Storm

A cold storm is blowing in from the west, with huge grey pink-edged clouds at sunset. More like late September than early June. No rain yet, though we may get snow above 6,000 feet.

I like storms. I think it's from growing up during the seven year drought in California. For me there's nothing better than sitting inside with a hot drink, warm and cozy, watching the lightning, trees swaying in the wind, rain soaking the garden. If I can, I leave a window open. I always sleep better when it's raining. That smell of wet earth and plants, the sounds of water dripping and pattering. Makes me feel all is right with the world.

Of course you don't want wet weather all the time (though California was safe from that!). It's good to have contrasts. The wet days help us appreciate the sunny days all the more, and vice versa. Good points to each of them. And we won't get too many more cold wet days before the Summer heat sets in.

Time to open that window and curl up in the blankets with a mug of mint tea. Happy storm, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment