Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fall Resolutions

Hubby and I went out for dinner this evening for our anniversary. Well, actually, first we went to Barnes & Noble because I wanted to buy a journal.

One of my Fall Resolutions is to get back into writing fiction again. Today I heard an interesting interview on To The Best of Our Knowledge, with Linda someone (can't recall her last name), a woman who gives writing workshops. The idea I liked was to think of a random word (more on that later), spend a few minutes thinking about the memories it brings. Then spend 8 minutes writing down everything you thought of.

The 8 minute limit makes me more likely to do this on a regular basis - which is intentional, I think. Another qualifier is you are actually *writing* things, with pen and paper. This limits editing or deleting as you write, like you might on a computer. The activity isn't meant for writing a finished story - it's for helping you access some of the interesting memories and stories already stored in your brain. It doesn't have to be perfect, or even complete. Then, hopefully, eventually one of those little memory nuggets will spark a full story, or even a novel.

In her workshops she has decks of cards with words on them that one can use. But I found a number of random word generators online. One I liked was at Coyote Cult, a creative writing site. Anyway, this might be a way to do an end-run around my laziness and those internal judges that say I can't do it.

My other Fall Resolution is to find a substitute exercise for Aikido. The mornings are dark enough now that I can't walk outside early enough to get a reasonable start on my work-day. There's a Tai Chi class at the local Rec Center, and I'm a member. So I'm going to look into that, and also see what other things they offer in the afternoons. I am sick of just dancing one night a week and then maybe getting to walk another couple mornings. I need MORE!

Anyway, back to our evening. We hung out at B&N for awhile, and I found a blank journal I liked. Then we went to Carino's for dinner. I had butternut squash ravioli with gorgonzola sauce on a bed of spinach, with toasted pecans and chopped tomatoes on top. It was amazing! Now I want a butternut squash to roast. Ken had a steak with veggies and roasted potatoes. That was good too. We were asking ourselves why we don't roast more root veg! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment