Monday, September 6, 2010

A Long Weekend


It's been a productive weekend. On Saturday we got some housecleaning and shopping done, I pulled some weeds, and we had a friend over for home-made pesto.

On Sunday my sister, niece Jasmine, Ken, Tachy and I went for a hike in the Owyhees near Reynolds Creek (see picture). We got home mid-afternoon, all wanting to take a nap. But instead we picked raspberries and made dinner.

Then today Ken and I reinforced the long chicken coop and nailed square-grid wire fencing on the bottom to keep out predators. We also finally did in the rooster. He's in the fridge now, waiting to become dinner later this week. My first experience with plucking a chicken. Messy, and I didn't really enjoy it, but I know how to do it now. And mornings will be a lot quieter around here until the other two suspects get old enough.

All the hens are now in the long coop. The oldest one, last survivor of the dog attack, is older and bigger than the other five, and she's suddenly quite a bully. She keeps chasing the other two smaller Wyandottes around the coop. A living demonstration of establishing pecking order :\. We're hoping things will settle down in the next few days. She doesn't pay any attention to the three Barred Rocks. This makes me worry even more that I may have ended up with two or three rooster chicks in the new batch. I guess we'll wait and see.

My first bulb order arrived just before the weekend - half a dozen saffron crocus bulbs. I planted them today. Supposedly they'll bloom later this fall, and I'll have two or three saffron stamens to harvest from each flower. You're supposed to take them right after the flower opens and dry them. So I'll have to keep an eye out! I still have two other parts of that order coming - a mix of violet, purple and ivory tulips, and a new baroque tulip called Rai. I sure hope those bloom. I'm very interested to see them.

1 comment:

  1. Saffron crocuses, what a treat! I love the look of Rai too, what a beauty. Glad you had a nice weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete