Monday, January 3, 2011

First Snowshoe Hike of 2011


We went snowshoeing on Banner Ridge on Sunday. I think the high up there got to around 25F. Really not too bad, as long as it wasn't windy. And most of the time we were on the leeward side of the ridge, so we didn't get much wind. I wore long underwear and plenty of layers, so it didn't bother me. I was worried about the heel blisters I got last time I wore my hiking boots, so I put in shoe pads. That seemed to reduce my foot movement inside the boots quite a bit, and I had no problem.

It was a beautiful day, even if it was cloudy. There was a very light snow falling when we first started out, but it stopped, and we even had a few shafts of sunlight break through the clouds. We made it all the way to the Banner Ridge yurt, which we hadn't got to before. Not that it's so very far, we just hadn't gone that way yet. Now we know where it is, we really want to try staying there next year. We met some people on the trail who were on their way to stay for a few days, and a couple our age who had stayed there over Christmas with their family. I think it sleeps six to eight people. You pack in your own food, etc. Anyway, the problem is remembering in July that you want to reserve a weekend in December or January! I must find a way to remember to do that this time. It costs a little money, but it's probably a LOT cheaper than staying at Yellowstone. I'd like to do that too sometime, but....

Anyway, we had a good walk, and it was refreshing to get out into the mountains for a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment