Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Weekend


Happy Easter.
This is the bed across from the deck, a week ago. You can already see a difference this weekend, plants are bigger and some of the tulips are in bloom.

I was definitely ready for the weekend by this Friday. Wanted to sleep in a little, but accidentally left my cellphone alarm on and it woke us at 6:30. We'd planned to get up around 7am anyway, so we just got up.

Went to the Boise Farmers Market this morning, the second weekend of the season. It was chilly, so most people were still in fleece and long pants, drinking coffee. There were lots of salad greens and other early veg, cheese, meats, and small plants. I bought two monkey flowers to put in a pot, croissants, asparagus, a lavender sachet, and a mini-pie for later this week.
Then we went to the Co-op for all those little things we can't find at the regular grocery store. Mostly teas and cheese. And wine. Today's finds were Pennywise Petit Syrah and Santa Christina.

Sofia the cat is recovering from being spayed on Wed. She's obviously feeling better today, but she still isn't supposed to go outside until next week. She's spelunking on my bookshelves as I type, exploring some of the nooks and crannies. We like that she's an affectionate cat, in spite of being female. She always wants to be near us, and tends to lay down in random places right near our feet if we're standing. It can get a little crazy when we're both cooking in the kitchen. We have to continually check under our feet so we don't step on her. So far we've missed her.

Tonight we made one of our favorite, if more fattening, dinners. Pasta in gorgonzola cheese sauce with sauted veg and flaked salmon. Yum. Good thing we don't do it very often. I made rhubarb oatmeal crumble on Thursday. It was really nice warm out of the oven. It's still good a few days later, but somewhat soggy. :\

I have lots of rhubarb, I'm already giving some away. Lots of eggs too. We've run out of egg boxes, again. The grass is getting long and weeds are starting to appear in my garden beds as the days get longer. If I have time tomorrow I may do some digging. Lots of little raspberry canes popping up well outside of where they should be. Need to nip those out before they get too established. I also want to *finally* plant my new Itoh peony. I'm still puzzling over where to put it, but I've got to decide soon and get it in the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment