Monday, May 9, 2011

Dwarf Iris in Bloom!


My dwarf iris exploded on Friday. Yesterday, after a few days of rain and sun, they were really going strong.

I gave myself a Mother's Day present on Saturday. Went to the nursery and got a few things I've been wishing for. Two sisyrincum idahoense (blue-eyed grass), papaver orientale 'Beauty of Livermere', a Rustic Dwarves rudbeckia, and a clematis integrifolia (bush clematis).

I've been wishing for that oriental poppy for a while now. The other one has survived out there, so I hope this one will be happy too. Had to cut back the grey groundcover to make room for it. Not much danger of losing that plant.



I'm excited about the bush clematis. It's hiding in between the yarrow and the yellow euphorbia. I don't know if it will flower this year, but hopefully it'll survive and do well next year. I planted the new Itoh peony out there last weekend, between the yellow and blue plant markers. No sign of life yet, which is a bit worrying.

I've had some trouble keeping things going in the front of this bed, but I'm pretty happy with the catnip. It seems to be liking it there. And the evening primrose keeps going, even though it tends to get overshadowed by the sedum next door. The new poppy will come up in spring and die back by mid-summer, so the real challenge will be keeping the groundcover from overwhelming it. That's one of the reasons I took this picture, so I can remember where it is. I should probably take a better shot, since this one doesn't show everything as well as I'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment