Saturday, October 22, 2011

First Saffron Crocus Blooms!

I put the Saffron Crocus bulbs in *before* last fall, but they didn't flower.  Finally they have!  Well, at least one of them has.  I don't know what I'd do, cooking-wise, with just three threads of saffon, so I'm leaving them for now.  There are four more bulbs down there that haven't flowered, so I'm hoping they will soon.

Otherwise, fall is coming on apace.  It's now officially dark when I get up at 6:30.  I hate getting up in the dark, so I am still working on the actual "getting up" part.  I'm more likely to turn off the alarm and sleep for another 40 minutes.  Not 30.  For whatever reason I usually wake up on my own at 7:10am.

But this week I have promised myself I will get up on time and get Ken and me out to the Rec Center to work out.  We've been lazy about it for a few weeks now.  Think I've lost a few pounds anyway, but I need to get back in shape.

Did some early Xmas shopping today.  There were some really good sales, so I took advantage.  Still lots more to do, but I've started.  I also saw some red sweater-knit with furry trim slippers at Penneys that are now on my own Christmas wish list.

The tulip bulbs I ordered in summer arrived this week.  So I now have a big job ahead of me.  I need to weed out the bed where I want to plant and get them in the ground.  It may take a few weekends but that's ok.  Tulips are better left until early November anyway.  These are some really fun yellowy-orange ones: Orange Princess, Cairo, and Silverstream.  I'm going to plant them all together.  I got these from Brent & Becky's Bulbs.  They have a wonderful variety of things.

Anyway, it'll be fun deciding where to put them all.



















I also bought some Ipheion uniflorum "Jessie".  Not sure where I'll put those.  They're supposed to naturalize well in lawns, but I don't think we have the kind of lawn most people think of for bulb naturalizing :).  Hopefully in Spring we're going to have someone look at the sprinklers and get them working again.  Once that's done my gardening life will become much easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment