Monday, May 28, 2012

Much Ado in the Garden

 A busy holiday Monday.  I cleared the weeds from a section of ground to extend the cottage garden area, dug in some compost, and put in some new plants.  Ken burned the weed pile, along with scrap wood, odd logs, sticks and boxes lying around the place, a hot job on any day.

Yesterday I bought 5 plants from Greenhurst, and today I found a few more at D&B.  Then I went around the existing garden beds and dug up some "volunteers" that weren't really in ideal situations.
I bought a rose I've been wishing for, 'Strike It Rich', aster horizontalis 'Prince', sedum 'Plum Perfection, geranium sanguineum 'John Elsley, a volunteer campanula and a self-seeded caryopteris. I also dug up a rudbekia, and geranium 'Phillippe Vapelle' that were both in the wrong place.  There's still some self-seeded lychnis chalcedonica and yarrow to move, but I ran out of steam.  I'll get them another day.  I planted a tomato, 'Chocolate Cherry', and got four peppers, 'Gypsy'.  I'll put in the peppers later this week.  They're the kind that's nice for roasting.

It was a good day for working outside, not too hot, partly cloudy, with a nice breeze.  We started early and by 1:30 we were done.  Even so the sun wore me out.  After a shower, we drank a bottle of Moscato and ate ciabatta with olive oil for lunch while we watched 'Much Ado About Nothing' on the Roku.  Just the right amount of silliness after a day in the sun.  So....

Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more;
    Men were deceivers ever;
One foot in sea and one on shore,
    To one thing constant never;
        Then sigh not so,
        But let them go,
    And be you blithe and bonny;
Converting all your sounds of woe
    Into Hey nonny, nonny.

Sing no more ditties, sing no more,
    Or dumps so dull and heavy;
The fraud of men was ever so,
    Since summer first was leafy.
        Then sigh not so, 
        But let them go,
    And be you blithe and bonny,
Converting all your sounds of woe
    Into Hey, nonny, nonny.

No comments:

Post a Comment