Saturday, June 16, 2012

New Crochet Project

On Wednesday I started a new shawl.  I'm using Tosh Merino DK in the 'Cathedral' colorway.  I bought it at Happy Knits, Portland, OR, when hubby and I were on vacation in March.  Happy Knits has sooooo many Tosh yarns in all weights and most of the colors.  It was really hard to choose.  But this is a gorgeous, gorgeous yarn.  I couldn't wait to do something with it.

So I was thrilled to find the First Love shawlette pattern on Ravelry.  It's a small half-circle shape with bands of different lace stitches, and a very nice border.  I'm not sure how much of a shawl person I'm going to be.  I hope I can find ways to wear shawls that will make it worth all the time and effort they take.  When you find a beautiful yarn and a great pattern you want to at least get some wear out if the item, as well as show off your skills.  The picture above is my progress as of today.  I'm already on row 11, but of course each row gets longer and takes a little more time.

My friend Diane is making me a beautiful knitted shawl in Tosh Lace in the 'Tart' color - a tonal yarn in shades of deep red.  Another time where I found this amazing yarn and then had to look for a pattern that I thought would do it justice.  In this case the shawl is knitted lace, well beyond my ability.  So Diane kindly agreed to make it for me, in trade for me making her something.

I finished the crocheted cowl Diane chose earlier this week.  It's pinned out now, being blocked into shape.  I think it turned out well.  The pattern was well written and turned out the way I imagined - except that it's a bit smaller overall than it appears in the picture.  I hope it will work for Diane.  This is a picture of it before blocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment