Sunday, July 1, 2012

July is Here Already!?

How did that happen?  Two more months of heat - ergh.  But I've been doing some fun gardening, and thank goodness we have the sprinklers working well again.

I planted the new weigela yesterday and did a bit of weeding in the new bed.  There are more plants I could move out there but it's hard to dig right now and the weather is getting hotter.  Not the best time to move things.  This is the new dianthus I planted back in May.  The white spots are minerals from our water.  It's a low cushion of leaves type, and the flowers are nicely scented.  The purple sage is going nuts this summer.  I don't know what got into it.  I nearly lost it over the winter.  In fact it's getting a bit too large.  I may have to cut half of it out in fall.

I've started sewing a red skirt for Red & White night, the Thursday dance at TAC Summer School. It's in honor of TAC's Ruby anniversary.  Found a relatively simple pattern and of course immediately made it more complicated than I needed to.  But that's ok.  It's rare that I use a pattern 'as is' anymore.  I'm in love with the fabric and I'm hoping it will turn out reasonably well.  Now if I could just figure out what top to wear.

I started out making view E, then changed my mind and went for view B, the three-tiered one.  Which meant I didn't have quite enough fabric left, so I had to unpick a sideseam on the sewn-together view E pieces and re-cut them to get two more tiers.  Yes, mistakes were made, but all of the tiers are gathered.  So I don't think the extra seams are going to be very noticeable in the end.  I'm also making it lined so I don't have to wear a slip.

Next I want to sew another three-tiered or four-tiered (view A) skirt using this wonderful blue and yellow paisley I found two or three years ago.  I've been wanting to do something with it but can't decide how to use it.  As you can see from the picture, it's sort of a strange border print.  So I've been puzzling over how to best cut into it.

 The side garden is looking good - or at least half of it is.  I'm not sure what to do with the front part.  My ground cover is kinda wimping out.  So I put in a new one but it's very wee yet.  Still, the back half looks nice.  And I'm liking the weird rudbeckia I didn't intend to buy more and more.  They don't live long, but it's putting on a good show this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment