Friday, July 12, 2013

Remembering

An old friend is dying.  It won't be long now.  In the 1980's, when we were dating, I was close to his whole family.  But we broke up by about 1989, I moved away, and I haven't been part of his life for nearly 25 years.  Then his sister found me on Facebook.  It was good to get back in touch a little before the end, see that he's been happy in life.  It was a shock to find out about his cancer.  In your 20's, if you ever bother to think ahead to what life might be like, you never imagine your friends ever dying, especially in the prime of life.  It's seems so unfair.

It was from Tim and his family that I learned most of what I know about costume making, research, and hand-work.  They got me started, and I learned the confidence to make things on my own.  He was full of life and creativity, always making things, coming up with ideas for new projects and bringing his friends into them.  I see from comments on his Facebook page that I'm not the only one to have been gifted with little objects either made or enhanced by his imagination.  So I wanted to share a few of them...

 My Elizabeth medal from 1988, part of a limited set given to various friends in honor of the Armada year.
 A decorated toy - wonderful detail.  Each wheel hub has a different tiny sun or moon painting.
The Landsknecht raccoon, costume hand-made by Tim, complete with little beer stein, belt-purse, feathers on the hat, and codpiece.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. An old teenage bf friend of mine sadly passed away a couple of years ago, it was a terrible shock. We had all lost touch for close to 30 years, but now a group of us meet up regularly, and A is always there with us in spirit xx.

    ReplyDelete